Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Years Dinner

Having written about our New Year Eve dinner, it is time for our New Year dinner.


Since Mel is Italian we had an Italian meal with lentils for good luck on New Year Eve. My family is from the south so for our New Year dinner we had southern food. 

I'll start with the black eyed peas. In the south you eat black eyed peas for good luck on New Year Day. I soaked the black eyed peas for a while in some water. I strained and rinsed them before putting them back in the pot and covering with chicken broth. Normally I would throw some bacon in there for some extra flavoring. However I found some smoked pig jowl in the store and decided to use that instead. I am glad I did as it added even more flavor to the peas than bacon. I cooked this for about 2 hours until the peas were cooked through and a nice thick sauce had developed. They came out with a nice smoky pork flavor imparted in them.

Using the left over gigantic chicken breast from the night before, I made some chicken strips. I dusted them with flour, dunked in some egg, then covered in bread crumbs. We had panko bread crumbs on had but any would do. I then pan fried them to golden brown and sprinkled with salt right after frying. Mel made a little dipping sauce of mustard and a little mayonnaise for the chicken that went really well with it.

She also made the salad. It had lettuce, dried cranberries, walnuts, and feta cheese. The real star was the vinaigrette. For Christmas my mom got me a bottle of good balsamic vinegar and a bottle of good black cherry balsamic vinegar. She used the black cherry balsamic with extra virgin olive oil to make a killer dressing that went really well with the salad. 

To round it all off we had some buttered buttermilk biscuits.

Happy New Year everyone. Thanks for reading my blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment